Prof. Z mentioned last week that he set a three-year experience assumption because he figured that would give time to acquire self-confidence. I've been thinking about it a lot, and not just because this week's reading is about getting started. In March I'll be attending the pre-conference law student training at COPAA (Council of Parents Attorneys and Advocates) in Anaheim. Attorney Mark S. Kamleiter of Florida is leading the workshop; I attended his parents training at COPAA-Atlanta three years ago. In a sense, the two-day training will be a refresher on special education law, but now I'll be thinking from a practioner's perspective instead of as a parent or advocate.
I'm looking forward to the conference, even though it means missing the March 6 class. It will be nice to put faces to the names on the email list. It's also a great networking event. Most of the plaintiff-side special education attorneys in the United States, and California in particular, are solo practitioners. Most of the attorneys also have a child with a disability, which is what led them into this niche. I'll be rooming with LaJoyce Porter, a solo from Oakland. Both of us have daughters with high-functioning autism, and both of us have successfully challenged our school districts to provide services. LaJoyce moved from a group practice to a solo practice so that she could control her work hours.
I hope to meet Tim Adams of Roberts & Adams, who recently represented us. Tim mentioned that I could be an associate if I moved to Orange County. He said they don't have enough business in the Bay Area yet to consider opening a branch in Oakland. Perhaps I can help drum up clients, so that I'll have employment in two years to ease into practice.
Meanwhile, I'm a bit nervous about running into our previous attorney, because our attorney-client relationship ended badly. He's brilliant at advocating and litigation, and encouraged me to enter law school. Unfortunately, problems arose because of his failure to communicate, despite my efforts via telephone, email, and finally fax. As my husband said afterwards, "What's the difference between having Ralph and not having Ralph? Nothing." Lesson learned: An attorney cannot delegate all communication to office staff.