Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Revenue Opportunities

We've been going through the finances for the business plan. Jeff asked me to estimate how many IEPs and hearings I'd attend in a year, as I'd be the primary special ed partner for BGK. I already set a flat rate, based upon my experience, for representation. I think a maximum of 2 hearings a year -- most likely only 1 -- is practical given the 10% plaintiff success rate in California. IEPs could be almost every day in May, depending on the school district and how well we advertise as well as what kind of workload I could handle. So I sent email to attorney LaJoyce Porter and asked her. The timing is good -- I just sent her news of a referral.

Meanwhile, an acquaintance just emailed asking for a moment of my time: "I would like your advice on a school issue, possibly a legal issue." I haven't been charging for my special ed advocacy, but I should especially when I look at my personal tax returns. I've just felt too overwhelmed with school and home to even start scheduling seminars on parent advocacy. And then I think, is it going to be like this when I'm a lawyer?

I don't know. But I ran into Carolyn Lee, my former peer mentor, last night at the GGU cafe. She's been out a year now, working as a tax attorney while enrolled now in the LLM tax program. She says yes, you're so tired now, but it will be so worth it. You'll love being a lawyer.

One year to go.