Thursday, February 28, 2008

Planning a business

After listening to comments from last week's questionnaire, it's clear that we've only scratched the surface of preparing to open a firm. I had thought we were well-prepared, but it turns out that we made assumptions about partners' working conditions/income--partners fund their own benefits, etc. We also assumed that the questionnaire was aimed at initial costs, and hadn't considered much of the long-term costs. But Jeff created a business plan template Sunday, and we've already started on it.

Even though I'll be gone next Thursday because of the COPAA conference in Anaheim, I'll have my laptop and can work a little on BGK. I expect to be tired but to learn a lot about practicing special ed law.

As for school, now that I have my other classes out of the way, and I'm not so groggy from this flu, I can concentrate better on BGK firm. I looked into internet services today, as I'm the technology guru at BGK. There's a learning curve for me, but we can get a good set-up regarding a web presence for less than $100/year. I'll be able to create databases, set up email accounts including a basic "info@", and especially check for accessibility. I still need to look at DSL or T1 services, but that would be available at whatever legal suite we choose.

Speaking of legal suites, Foonberg was apoplectic about the possibility of a home office and spoke lovingly of legal suites. I wonder how much business he's driven to his friend in LA? Anyway, using that service reduces overhead, which is why we choose it for the firm's early years, although the front-office support can be iffy. I was a temporary secretary for Reebok's regional sales office in Alameda, which used a business suite near the Oakland Airport. The receptionist and secretaries frequently were rude to everyone except the Reebok manager. It was a relief when Reebok moved into its own quarters in Oakland.