GP|SOLO magazine is very timely in concert with class readings. The theme for January/February 2008 is "The Care and Feeding of Clients." The articles include starting a partnership, figuring out how to bill, and how to unengage gracefully. After reading most of the issue, I revised our team's disengagement letter to incorporate some of those concepts. I added a specific recommendation for an attorney, rather than just the bar referral, and I tried to make the language plainer.
The
Gibson and
Foonberg books also contain pointers on billing. Foonberg's Rule basically is get paid first or you're working for free. I'm particularly interested in the nuts-and-bolts of setting up a practice, so I marked some of the billing ideas and the sample letters. I also plan to re-read the cases from last week, looking at the types of practices and how trouble occurred, rather than reading to understand the issue and holding.
As for our team, I'm very happy with our work together. Thanks to Susan, we have about 1/3rd of the firm questionnaire drafted. Jeff and I still have our sections to complete, and we all need to write bios. We are trying to work in advance, so that we can hand in a good assignment without managing other coursework.